How I made this thing:
- Settled on the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History and North American Women’s Letters and Diaries as the sources for this collection.
- Saved individual letters to individual .txt files.
- Tagged letters using TAMS Analyzer. I tagged each letter’s content/body, author, recipient, date written, and location written (when given). I also entered corresponding geo-coordinates for the location names.
- Made a CSV file using the coded text.
- Ran said CSV file through TextPlot, WORDij, CartoDB, and Gephi.
- Used Silk to host a gallery and Neatline to host the visualizations and WordPress to host everything else.